Mastering Data Governance
As a small business owner, you’re on a mission to secure your company’s sensitive information. And with the Microsoft 365 Project, you have the power to take your data governance to new heights. But what if you didn’t have it?
One day, you received a call from a customer asking about a leaked email that contained confidential information about their financials. You were shocked. An employee had accidentally sent the email to the wrong recipient, compromising your company’s reputation and putting your customer’s trust at risk.
You could face legal penalties and fines for violating data privacy laws and regulations. Additionally, your reputation could be severely damaged if unauthorised individuals leaked or accessed the client’s personal information.
Furthermore, you could be liable for any harm that may result from the unauthorised use of the client’s personal information, including identity theft, financial loss, or loss of privacy. This could result in costly lawsuits and compensation claims, which would impact your financial stability and future. So what can you do to make sure this doesn’t happen to you?
We are proud to introduce you to Data Governance as part of the M365 Project. Data Governance is a comprehensive approach to managing and protecting your company’s data, ensuring accuracy, consistency, and accessibility while also keeping it secure from unauthorised access or use.
- Data Loss Prevention – Data Loss Prevention (DLP) policies are an essential tool for small businesses looking to protect sensitive information from falling into the wrong hands. These policies look for specific data based on conditions; for example, if we have a policy which looks for information that resembles credit card numbers, we can set up an alert that can be sent out to the person who is responsible for GDPR to review. A policy can also be put in place to block it from automatically being shared. With DLP policies in place, businesses can enjoy peace of mind when it comes to sharing information outside the company.
- Data Retention – Data Retention policies put you in the driver’s seat when it comes to managing your data. These policies specify how long data needs to be kept and when it should be deleted, giving you complete control over your data assets. Typically, these retention policies are very handy for clients who need to keep/delete data for a certain period due to compliance policies.
- Sensitivity Labels – With this powerful tool, you’ll be able to easily categorise and label your data based on its level of sensitivity. This makes it simple to understand which data requires extra protection and which data can be more widely shared.
- By taking control of your data with sensitivity labelling, you’ll be able to ensure that sensitive information is protected and that your business is fully compliant with legal and regulatory requirements. Whether you’re dealing with confidential customer information or sensitive business data, sensitivity labelling empowers you to make informed decisions about how your data is used and shared.
- Data Governance within Microsoft 365 – With this powerful tool, you’ll be able to take control of your data like never before. One of the key benefits of data governance within Microsoft 365 is managing permissions and controlling who can create teams. This ensures that only the right people have access to sensitive information, keeping your business secure and compliant.
- Another key advantage is the ability to set automatic expiration for inactive team groups, which helps keep your data organised and ensures that you’re only retaining the information you need. Whether you’re sharing important business documents or confidential customer information, SharePoint and OneDrive make it easy to stay compliant and keep your data protected.
By implementing our Data Governance measures, you can effectively manage and protect your company’s data while allowing employees to collaborate and work efficiently. So, book a discovery call with us today and let us protect your business.