The Phish Alert Button and How to Enhance Email Security.
In today’s digital landscape, cyber threats are a constant concern. Phishing attacks, in particular, continue to pose a significant risk to businesses and individuals alike. To combat this growing threat, we want to tell you about a valuable tool within known as the Phish Alert Button (PAB).
This feature empowers users to play an active role in identifying and reporting suspicious emails, ultimately bolstering email security. In this blog post, we will explore the benefits of the Phish Alert Button and provide a step-by-step guide on how to use it effectively.
Benefits of the Phish Alert Button
By utilising the Phish Alert Button, users can contribute to the overall safety of their company’s email environment. Let’s delve into the key advantages offered by this feature.
- Early Detection and Prevention: Phishing attacks often rely on the element of surprise and deception. By promptly reporting suspicious emails with the PAB, users provide vital early detection to their IT security teams. This allows for swift investigation and timely countermeasures to be implemented, preventing potential data breaches, financial losses, or unauthorised access.
- User Empowerment: With the Phish Alert Button, every user becomes an integral part of their company’s email security apparatus. By actively participating in the identification and reporting of phishing attempts, employees can take ownership of their cybersecurity and contribute to a safer work environment. This sense of empowerment creates a culture of vigilance and promotes a stronger defence against cyber threats.
- Heightened Situational Awareness: Reporting suspicious emails through the Phish Alert Button increases the overall situational awareness of the business. IT security teams can analyse reported emails to gain insights into evolving phishing techniques and emerging trends. This information can then be used to enhance security measures, such as refining email filters, implementing targeted awareness campaigns, and strengthening employee training programs.
How to Use the Phish Alert Button
Now, let’s explore the simple steps to effectively utilise the Phish Alert Button within Microsoft Outlook:
- Open Microsoft Outlook on your computer.
- Navigate to your inbox, where you have received the suspicious email.
- Locate the Phish Alert Button (PAB) icon, typically positioned at the top of your Outlook client.
- Click on the PAB icon to report the email. This action will forward the email to your company’s IT security team for further analysis.
- Once reported, the email will be promptly removed from your inbox, mitigating the risk of accidental interaction.
- In case of mistaken reporting or the need to retrieve the email later, you can restore it from your Trash folder or Deleted Items folder.
The Phish Alert Button is a valuable tool that empowers users to actively contribute to email security by reporting suspicious emails. By promptly flagging potential phishing attempts, users provide early detection and prevention, bolster company cybersecurity, and enhance situational awareness.
Remember, every reported email plays a crucial role in fortifying defences against phishing attacks and safeguarding sensitive information. Stay vigilant, utilise the Phish Alert Button, and become a proactive defender against cyber threats in the digital realm.
The availability and functionality of the Phish Alert Button may vary depending on the specific configuration of your company’s Microsoft Outlook setup. Please consult your IT support team for any specific instructions or guidelines regarding its usage. Alternatively, if you need any information on this useful feature, we’re here to help.